Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My basketball team

I remember when, a few years ago, I talked to my school friends about how much I liked basketball, football, tennis.... but it was so difficult for Spanish girls to play any sport, at least here in my town, Lucena. I couldn’t understand why, but the majority of the girls in the town don’t usually play any sport.
Then, Lucena opened a new basketball club. It attracted a lot of young people, and the thing that I liked most was the possibility of a girls team.
I loved the idea! And my friends too. At first, only five girls arrived there, saying we wanted to create our own team.
And it was fantastic! Other people found it a bit strange, and we were known (and still we are) as “the basket girls”
Then, some new girls started to come. Some stayed and they are still with us, others couldn’t follow our schedule, because it’s true that it is a serious club, not just a team to have fun. We have to train and play matches, which are every weekend.
Now there are 10 of us, but that’s enough, in spite of the frequent injuries.
Last year, we were in a league, and we won! We learnt quite quickly, at least to win, (but it wasn’t a very strong league for very good teams, to be honest).
This year the team is a official league team, and it is harder! But we are proud, we are still learning and training hard to improve as much as possible. Maybe, next year, we’ll win again! Anyway, I love this experience and I feel lucky because I have the opportunity to play a sport that I really like!

3 comments:

  1. Great article Ana!

    It's wonderful to read about something you're so enthusiastic about. Is it the league season now? How are the team doing in the more difficult league?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wauw Ana... it's fantastic!! I really like your propose for creating a girl team of basket in Lucena. I wish you will be a really excellent player of basket and one day your team and you will compete to other teams with boys, why not? =D see you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Richard! And Maria José!
    No, the season has just finished. But next month, we are going to Málaga with some teams around Andalucía to play a "minileague" and have a good weekend there!
    And in July the Summer league will start.

    Yes Maria José, We'll play with boys! In fact, we have just playd some matches and we won some of them! =D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, but nothing weird and it has to be in English, thanks!